5 days by road takes you to Rwanda, a night in one of our partner hotels of your choice, day spent at leisure with dinner at the Hotel.
The next day takes you on an 8min drive from The Retreat with a guided tour to Kigali Genocide Memorial exhibitions and gardens.
Proceed by road to Volcanoes National Park for next 3 nights, Gorilla Trekking experience and Golden Monkey Tracking.
- Kigali Highlight Kigali Genocide Memorial standing amid beautiful rose gardens and fountains. It also plays a vital role in educating Rwanda’s new and future generations about the genocide.
- Rwanda, known as the Land of a Thousand Hills, is one of the best places to see mountain gorillas.
- Kigali a city once under German colony, was founded in 1907, and gained independence in 1962.
- Rwanda was awarded among the 10 top safest countries in the World and the safest in Africa for solo travelers’.
- Volcanoes National Park has best Gorilla Trekking in Africa’s wilderness.
Met on arrival at the Kigali International Airport by our partners in Rwanda, you will be transferred to The Retreat a 20min drive away, this 20-room luxury boutique hotel created by the American owners of Heaven, designed by Italian architects, brought to life by an extraordinary team of Rwandan builders and technicians. This will be your overnight stay. Once assisted to check-in, you have the afternoon at leisure, dinner and overnight at the Hotel.
Meals: Breakfast & dinner. Overnight at the Retreat.
Breakfast at the Retreat, and check-out by 8am for a city tour which includes the Kigali Genocide Memorial an 8 min drive followed by an 8 min to visit to the Inema Arts Gallery.
The Gallery was founded in 2012 by brothers and self-taught painters Emmanuel Nkuranga and Innocent Nkurunziza with the aim to tap the untapped potential of art in Rwanda, to use the creative expression as a way to bring the community and country alive, to provide exposure to creative people and to create opportunities for Rwanda’s most underserved communities while using creativity for a productive livelihood.
A mid-morning leisurely 2 hr 8 min (98.2km/61mi) drive takes you to Musanze strategically location in the foothills of the Virunga Massif an attraction to tourism, business and agriculture, with a visit to the Dian Fossey Foundation based in Ruhengeri town. A further 19min drive (10.7km/6.6mi) to the Volcanoes National Park and on to Sabyinyo Silverback lodge a 26min (15.8km/9.8mi). Upon arrival, check-in proceed for lunch with a siesta following.
Afternoon you may visit the twin lakes of Burera and Ruhondo located at the base of the Volcano Muhabura in the north. These lakes are picturesque blue water masses surrounded by the Virunga high hills, and separated by a kilometer strip of land. Here you can take a canoe/boat trip along the waters taking in the magnificent views.
Return to the lodge for dinner.
Meals: lunch, dinner and overnight at Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge.
An early breakfast at the lodge followed by a drive to Volcanoes National Park in time for Golden Monkey trek briefing, scheduled to take place at 07h00.
Then proceed on to the treks’ start point. After the trek, you will be transferred to the hotel in time for lunch, and a siesta.
A Mid-afternoon depart for an exclusive visit to the Gorilla Guardians Village returning to the hotel in the evening. Dinner and overnight.
Meals: breakfast, lunch, dinner. Overnight at Sabyinyo Silverback lodge.
Another early morning departure after breakfast before heading to the Kinigi the Headquarters and entrance to Volcanoes National Park in time for a briefing before embarking on the 07:00am Gorilla Trekking, if tracking the golden monkey this is a great stand-alone experience for primate lovers. You will be transferred to the trailhead where the guided walk begins and may take between 1 to 4 hours.
Return to the lodge for lunch, with the afternoon spent at leisure or undertake the
Optional activities include a visit to the Iby’iwacu cultural village, visit the tropical Musanze Caves, the lakes’ Swamp Rugezi is an important area for bird viewing providing a photogenic serene area to see a number species, bird-watching on the lodge’s 17 pristine private acres, mountain biking around the local area, cultural community visits and an excursion to the original Dian Fossey Research Camp, which rests between two volcanoes (Karisoke)
Meals: breakfast, lunch, dinner. Overnight at Sabyinyo Silverback lodge.
Breakfast at the lodge and check out mid-morning for a 2 hr 34 min drive back to Kigali in time for lunch at the Pili Pili Restaurant. If time permits you may visit the Haute Baso shop, offering an experiential shopping experience with blends of premium made in Rwanda fashion, food and beverage and arts.
You will be transferred to the Kigali International Airport where our partners’ driver guide will bid you farewell as you check in for your out bound flight.
- Kigali: Kigali Marriott, Four Points by Sheraton Kigali.
- Volcanoes National Park: Nyungwe Forest Lodge, Virunga Lodge, One & Only Gorilla’s Nest, Bisate Lodge, The Bishops House.
- To The Genocide Memorial groups larger than 15, please book one week before your visit.
- Gorilla trekking
- Golden monkey tracking
- Visit the grave of Dian Fossey
- Mountain hiking on Mt Karisimbi
- Tour of the the lakes Ruhondo and Burera.
- Visit the Musanze caves
- Cultural Tour to Iby’iwacu cultural village
- Bird watching
- On the outskirts of Musanze you find the Lake Burera and Lake Ruhondo are located at the base of the Mount Muhabura giving off very beautiful scenery.
Trip Inclusions / Exclusions
- Services of meet and greet by our representative in Kigali from the International Airport, and partner driver guide as per itinerary.
- Transfers on arrival to the hotel, and departure in Kigali as per above itinerary.
- Transportation & shared basis in 4 x 4 vehicle throughout your safari except when requested for private use for 4x4 vehicle with Wi-Fi in receptive area.
- Services of a professional, experienced and fluent in English, French, Spanish or German speaking driver guides who are all members of the Rwanda Guides Association.
- Game drives during the day as per itinerary
- Excursions entrances, visits, park entrance fees for the National Park as per itinerary.
- Bottled mineral water in each 4x4 vehicle whilst on the tour.
- 1 Gorilla permit per person (includes briefing at RDB offices, Guide, Trek)
- A walking stick is provided for the steep walk, water and packed lunch.
- 1 Golden monkey permit Tracking permit per person.
- 1 night on bed & breakfast and dinner, accommodation at The Retreat, Kigali, Rwanda
- 3 nights on full board basis in Sabyinyo Silverback lodge or similar
- Departure day, lunch at Pili Pili Restaurant, with transfer to Kigali International Airport.
- Amref Flying Doctors cover whilst on this safari aimed at providing quality and affordable Air and Ground Ambulance evacuation services.
- International flight ticket, Travel documents, Visa
- Comprehensive Travel Insurance from your insurer back at home.
- Specific excursions and services not indicated on the ‘included’ incurs additional charge when booked.
- All personal expenses, telephone calls, alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks not indicated by lodge/camp as included, laundry charge may be extra in some or our partner’s properties.
- Tips and gratuities for staff and driver/guide at our partner properties.
- Any additional items not included on this itinerary.
- Subject to your departure flight time, a day room at an airport hotel is available at an extra charge.
This is an on foot experience, and said to be the closest you can get to the endangered mountain gorillas. The trip has a maximum of 8 people per group.
Only three countries in Africa, with limitations of four National Parks: Bwindi Impenetrable National Park (Uganda), Mgahinga Gorilla National Park (Uganda), Volcanoes National Park (Rwanda) and Virunga National Park (Democratic Republic of Congo).
In comparison to other wildlife encounters, gorilla trekking is considered safe. However, as each experience has its rules, these are outlined in details and MUST be followed.
The dry season between June – September, December – February is best for Trekking. The rainy season comes with challenges for this experience as it’s an activity on foot. however, the lodges give special discounted rates during this period.
Water proof shoes – hiking or boots as the trails are mostly muddy or waterlogged.
Warm jacket or sweater
Hat, sunscreen, insect repellent (as you will walk in the forest)
Long sleeve shirt and long pants.
Wireless internet is now available throughout the country, either by using a dongle, which can be purchased in Kigali and other major towns, or by using Wi-Fi hotspots.
Sabyinyo Silverback has complimentary Wi-Fi available throughout the rooms and the lodge main area.
The Retreat Kigali we do have Internet through Wi-Fi at the property.
Here one of the two European standard electrical socket types are used:
The “Type C” Europlug and the “Type E” and “Type F” Schuko.
You will need a travel plug adapter in order to plug in. Electrical sockets (outlets) supply electricity at between 220 and 240 volts AC.