Fly camping’ originates from early days hunters who packed the outer layer of a tent and used rope strung up as a stand-alone shelter, without walls. Nowadays the tents are under a mosquito net, under the stars with an armed ranger close by giving you that remote magical experience of the wilderness around you. This is always set at a distance from the main camp.
- Campi ya Kanzi ia an award-winning luxury eco-tourism lodge.
- Fly Camping
- Visit authentic Maasai Villages
- Wildlife available all year round
- Morning trip into the Chyulu Cloud Forest
- Sasaab lodge unique Moroccan touches.
- Nine rooms with private plunge pools.
- Well being space at Sasaab lodge
- Location of Naboisho Conservancy in Mara is a secluded camp
- Experience of overnight fly camping, bushwalking and night safaris
- Comprehensive childrens safari programme.
- Intimacy and exclusivity not found in national parks
Met on arrival at JKIA- International Airport by one of our representatives, and transferred to Wilson Airport for your early morning scheduled flight to the “Green Hills of Africa” Chyulu Hills National Park an hours’ flight. Met on arrival by the Campi ya Kanzi driver guide and transferred to the Camp.
Situated at the foot of the legendary Chyulu Hills, Hemingway’s Green Hills of Africa is this luxury camp offering an incomparable combination of 5-star luxury, first class wilderness adventure, amazing wildlife, and authentic immersion in Maasai culture.
Meals: lunch, dinner at the Camp. Overnight at Campi ya Kanzi
Your ultimate African safari begins today, an adventure, intimate and unique experience offered as part of the walking safari. The camp will provide an armed guard to accompany you as you walk to the location of the fly camp, you will experience the ecosystem around you.
At Campi ya Kanzi, “fly camp” has a dual meaning because here they also fly you to the location. Guests enjoy a short, scenic flight to and from the fly camp in the giraffe-spotted bush plane, soaring over green hills, lava forests, and herds of hartebeest and elephants. The fly camp is located in Motikanju Conservancy, a private nature reserve that is dedicated to wildlife and free of human presence.
Enjoy a three-course dinner under a sprawling shroud of stars. As you retire to your tent with a kerosene lamp and a warm Maasai blanket. Here you will use a hot bucket shower to keep with tradition.
Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner at the Fly Camp/ Campi ya Kanzi.
After breakfast, you will be transferred the airstrip for your morning flight to Wilson Airport arriving approx. 09:30am, on transit to main Oryx airstrip in Samburu National Reserve.
You will be met on arrival by Sasaab Lodge driver guide and onto a 1 ½ - 2-hour drive from the lodge with a game viewing drive en-route. Check-in for lunch, a siesta afterwards in the tents scattered along the cliff on either side of the central lodge area.
A late afternoon leisurely nature walk (or game drive) for the extra adventurous where the lodge will set up a mobile expedition camp for the night, sleep out under the stars in Westgate Conservancy (which is an area of rich natural diversity with an astounding number of animals, from majestic elephant herds to predatory lion, leopard and cheetah).
A night under mosquito dome tents, set with comfy mattresses and bedlinen, bathroom and washing facilities. Relax around a roaring campfire before sitting down to a starlit alfresco dinner.
Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner at the Sasaab Lodge/Fly Camping
Early morning game viewing drive after breakfast at the fly camp in Westgate Conservancy. Depart for mid-morning game viewing drive with picnic lunch to fully appreciate the reserve. There are two areas whilst on a game drive; Westgate Conservancy and the Samburu National Reserve a short drive away.
North of the equator, is home to the ‘Samburu Special Five’, namely the Beisa oryx, Reticulated giraffe, Grevy’s zebra, Gerenuk antelope and Somali ostrich. Game drive takes you to the core conservation area for the endangered Grevy’s zebra, as well as out onto the Naibelibeli Plains where you may see the bat-eared fox, hyena and wild dog.
Drive back to the lodge after sundowners allow you to look out for some of the nocturnal species such as genet cats, white-tailed mongoose, porcupines and bush-babies, amongst others. Return for dinner at the lodge.
Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner at the Sasaab Lodge.
After breakfast, check-out and depart for the airstrip in Samburu National Reserve, on the morning scheduled flight to Maasai Mara-Mara Ol Seki airstrip a 45-minute drive to the Naboisho camp. You will be met on arrival by the Naboisho driver guide and transferred to the Camp for a leisurely lunch, enjoy siesta time by reading a book.
Set in the 210 km² private Mara Naboisho Conservancy, Naboisho Camp offers spectacular game viewing in the north of the Mara-Serengeti ecosystem with early morning and late afternoon game drives when the temperatures are cooler and animals especially the predators are more active.
More adventures with an afternoon tea before departing for an afternoon/evening game drive with sundowners. You'll be back in time for drinks and dinner.
Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner at the Mara Naboisho Camp.
Begin your day bright and early with a wake-up call and tea or coffee. Enjoy breakfast before you depart for your morning game drive (or have it packed as a picnic to take along). You'll arrive back in camp mid-morning, with a chance to freshen up before lunch.
Enjoy free time before you pack an overnight bag on your walking safari, accompanied by an armed guide and spend the afternoon walking to the Fly Camp. This is an experience only booked on private basis and must be pre-booked so as to spend a night out in the bush under the mosquito dome tents and sleep gazing up at the stars.
Luxury even in the wild, as a three-course meal is prepared by the chef on the fire using cast iron black pots and grills where the menu is based on the traditions of the area which includes a tasteful dessert. A hot water bucket for showering as you enjoy the sleep under the stars.
A short drop safari toilet is also provided, tent comes with enough room to stand, windows on three sides, a veranda in the front with an awning, head lamps, camping chairs and camping table.
Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner at the Fly Camp Mara Naboisho Camp.
Awaken to a spectacular sunrise and the dawn chorus giving you the chance to experience something truly wild. After breakfast, start your way back to the lodge mid-morning, spend the morning at the lodge relaxing before lunch and transfer to the airstrip for your early afternoon flight (15:15pm) to Mara direct arriving (16:15pm)
Met on arrival at Wilson airport and transferred to the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport for your outbound flight. (Subject to your outbound flight, a day room maybe allocated at the Airport Hotel).
Chyulu Hills: Ol Donyo Lodge
Maasai Mara – Mara Naboisho Conservancy: Eagle View, Kicheche Valley Camp, Ol-Seki Hemingways Mara Camp, Leopard Hill, Porini Mara Camp, Wilderness Camp, Base Camp Explorer.
- Conservation & activities in the National Park.
- Visit to the Maasai Village nearby.
- Horse-riding safari.
- Guided Walking Safari.
- Game Viewing drive
- Bird Watching
- Mountain Biking.
Trip Inclusions / Exclusions
- Arrival & Departure meet and greet service at JKIA and Wilson Airport
- Flight package for 7 days/6 nights as per programme.
- 4 x 4-safari vehicles used on shared basis as a located by our lodge/camp partners. Private basis at additional charge not included here.
- 2 nights Campi ya Kanzi, Chyulu National Park includes full board accommodation, soft drinks, local wines, spirit, beer, laundry, bird watching, Game drives in open Land Rover, Forest walks, Escorted game walks, Bush breakfast, picnic, dinner, Horse-back riding, Maasai cultural villages, Visit MWCT programs (Schools, Dispensaries & Research Centre.
- 2 nights Sasaab Lodge, Westgate Conservancy, Samburu National Park, includes all meals, drinks and alcohol, excluding champagne and premium wines/spirits. Game drives, bush breakfasts and sundowners nature walks and camel rides.
- 2 nights Mara Naboisho Camp, Maasai Mara National Reserve includes full board basis, conservancy bed fee, all house drinks excluding premium wines and champagne, game drives, night drives, transfers to/from nearest airstrip from Naibosho camp & limited laundry service.
- Park fees & Conservancies fees as specified.
- Use of scheduled light aircrafts twice daily from Wilson Airport Nairobi total baggage allowance for each passenger (exclusive infants who are not entitled to baggage allowance), inclusive of hand baggage and camera, is 15kgs soft bags.
- Charter flight of the flight is approx. $400 per person one way from Wilson to Chyulu Airstrip, with a minimum of 2 passengers.
- Airport transfers at the Camps & Lodges.
- International flight ticket, Travel documents, Visa
- Comprehensive Travel Insurance, (Personal Travel, Medical & Baggage Insurance)
- from your insurer back at home.
- Specific excursions and services not indicated on the ‘included’ incurs additional charge when booked.
- All personal expenses, telephone calls, alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks not indicated by lodge/camp as included, laundry charge may be extra in some or our partners properties.
- Tips and gratuities for staff and driver/guide at our partner properties.
- Option of Charter flight is available upon request, if guests don’t want a road safari.
- Any additional items not included on this itinerary.
- Hot air-balloon safari, Spa treatments, Tsavo/Amboseli National Park excursions, Scenic flights with champagne breakfast, Air excursions, Excursion to David Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage, Yoga/Meditation sessions, Kanzi Amani Wellness, Guiding & hosting by Luca Belpietro.
It is recommended not to drink tap water in any location but to drink the bottled water purchased at the hotels, lodge, and camps.
On foot or by vehicle, depending on which camp you are staying at.
Campi ya kanzi mobile camp in a remote area
At Sasaab Lodge: mosquito dome tents set up for you with comfy mattresses and bedlinen, bathroom and washing facilities.
Naboisho Camp make use of a comfortable, small tent which gives you a real “in-the-bush” feel. Fall asleep on a cozy mattress with all the basics you may need right at your side.
For a shower enjoy the bucket shower which hangs from a nearby tree using water heated up by the sun’s rays.
A “short drop” toilet with a conventional seat to make you feel right at home.
Yes, fly camping is very safe. The guides are specifically trained in safe camping procedures and dealing with big game in a fly camp environment.
Campi ya Kanzi is open all year round
Sasaab is closed for two weeks in November for maintenance.
Naboisho camp is open May to March and closed in April.
Your room back at camp is kept for you on the night you choose to fly camp. If, for any reason, you have to go back to camp, your room will be waiting for you.
Baggage allowance to all our destinations is STRICTLY limited to 15 Kgs per person.
Most of the rooms have cellphone reception, and Wi-Fi is in some of the rooms close to the main areas.
To keep the fly camping experience intimate our partners cater for a maximum of 6 guests, sharing in three tents.
Most or our partners accept American Express & Visa card/debit card, and change only the cash amount you wish to use each time based on your extras,
Chyulu is 45 minutes with its own private runway or land at ol Donyo airstrip.
Samburu is approx. 1hr. 30min.
Mara Naibosho Conservancy is approx. 1 hour subject to the various stops within the park.
Usually one night, but can be extended to two or three nights upon request.
Fly camping must be booked in advance with your agent and camp management before leaving home.
Yes, you need to be physically fit for this safari.
Toothbrush & toilet bag – wet wipes, toothpaste, sunscreen, hand sanitizer, travel towel, shower gel & shampoo.
Headtorch or normal torch
Ear plug/eye mask
Thick socks, mosquito repellent
Warm jumper/jacket (colours khaki/jungle green)
Clothes for the next day.
Comfortable walking shoes/or boots
Kenya – Kenya Shilling
Kenya operates on a 240V supply voltage and 50Hz
Please see below recommended guideline which is at your discretion.
Safari driver guide per day, per vehicle $10 – $40 per person.
Restaurant waiter/waitresses per meal $1.50 – $2.00 per person
Porter per bag $ 0.50 – $1.50 per person
Yes, you can but you will need to buy a local sim card, on arrival for use during your stay. Or use the lodges, camps or hotel landlines to make internationals calls, this will be billed to your room.
Yes‚ there is a complimentary secure store at our Wilson Airport Office. please inquire from the check-in counter.
On arrival, you’ll enjoy some delicious snacks to accompany your sundowner – the bar will be fully stocked with your favourites! Dinner is a fire-cooked meal beneath the stars. When morning breaks, breakfast can be packed to enjoy as a picnic during your game drive, or you can choose to head straight back to camp and enjoy a cooked breakfast there. You can also choose to spend a few more hours at your special camp and enjoy breakfast right there in the bush, cooked over the fire.
Terms of reservations and payments based on seasons:
Booking during the green season (7th January – 15th June, 1st November – 21st December) done between 42days prior to the guest’s proposed arrival date, and reservations made less than 42 days prior to the proposed date of arrival, such bookings will only be confirmed upon receipt of a 100% pre-payment.
Bookings during the migration season (16th June – 31st October) and festive season (22nd December – 8th January) full payment is due not later than 60 days prior to the guests’ arrival date on all hotels, lodges and Camps.