4 days’ road safari starts in Kigali to the largest National Park – Akagera in Rwanda. The only haven for savannah wildlife animals in the Republic of Rwanda. Having recorded over 8,000 large animals, over 100 African bush elephants, over 80 Rothschild giraffes, over 15 Lions, and about 25 black eastern Rhinos.
Three nights of game drives, boat ride on Lake Ihema, with an option the newly introduced early morning balloon ride across the Akagera National Park, and on the last day lunch at the Pili Pili Restaurant before the drive to the International Airport for your out bound flight.
- Kigali Genocide Memorial
- Akagera National Park is Central Africa's largest protected wetland and the last remaining refuge for savannah-adapted species in Rwanda.
- The Akagera National Park recorded over 8,000 large animals; with over 100 African bush elephants, more than 80 Rothschild giraffes, over 15 lions, and about 25 black eastern rhinos.
- The Akagera National Park is the largest in Rwanda, covering an area of 1,085km2.
Met on arrival at the Kigali International Airport by our partners in Rwanda, you will be transferred to The Retreat a 20min drive away, this 20-room luxury boutique hotel created by the American owners of Heaven, designed by Italian architects, brought to life by an extraordinary team of Rwandan builders and technicians. This will be your overnight stay. Once assisted to check-in, you have the afternoon at leisure, dinner and overnight at the Hotel.
Meals: Breakfast & dinner. Overnight at the Retreat.
07h30: After breakfast at the hotel, you will check out and proceed to Kigali Genocide Memorial for a guided tour. The memorial stands amid beautiful rose gardens and fountains, shares the history leading up to the genocide in Rwanda and other genocides around the world.
It helps put into context how and why the genocide happened and to better appreciate how far the country has come, post the genocide years, whilst playing a
vital role in educating Rwanda’s new and future generations on effects of genocide.
10h30: depart for Akagera National Park, arrive at the park headquarters for a brief introduction to your park guide before transfer to your lodge in time for check-in and lunch at the Mantis Akagera Game Lodge stands on a hill at the southern tip of the Park elevated above the savannah, offering a bird’s-eye view and exceptional views of Lake Ihema.
15h00: Depart for an afternoon game drive in the park with exceptional birdlife and wildlife experience. Being the only Big-5 reserve in Rwanda, home to rare swamp-dwelling Sitatunga, Rare Shoebill Stork, endangered papyrus Gonolex, much sought after Red-faced Barbet, over 500 recorded bird species.
It is the only Big-5 reserve in Rwanda and is also home to the rare swamp-dwelling Sitatunga, the rare Shoebill stork, the endangered papyrus Gonolex and the much sought-after Red-faced Barbet. With over 500 recorded bird species. Return to the Lodge before sunset, freshen-up for dinner.
Meals: lunch, dinner and overnight at Mantis Akagera Game Lodge.
After breakfast, go on a boat excursion on Lake Ihema (10h00 to 11h00) the second largest lake in Rwanda. Lining the lakes are some of the continents densest concentrations of water birds. The African Darter, African Wattled Lap wing, Blue-cheeked Bee-eater, Common Squacco Heron, Great Egret and Eastern Grey Plantain Eater to mention a few.
Akagera is one of the best birding environs in the world with the highest recorded number of species per unit area. The unique diversity of habitats including lakes, marshes, savannah, mountains and woodland makes this the largest protected wetland in Central Africa.
Continue with a game viewing drive till 13h30, returning to the lodge for lunch, siesta then a late afternoon game drive providing an opportunity to view gentle hills blending beautifully with lowland swamps and water bodies.
Night drives begin at 5.30pm and end around 8 – 8.30pm. You will be picked up and dropped off at your accommodation facility. Only available in the south of the park.
Return to the lodge before sunset for dinner and overnight stay.
Meals: breakfast, lunch, dinner. Overnight at Mantis Akagera Game Lodge.
Full day in Akagera National Park, (it is possible to have a picnic lunch instead of having a hot lunch at the lodge) game viewing with visit to the Giraffe area in the south and the lakes road towards Birengero with chance to see animals like Elephant buffalo, Giraffe, Zebra and over a dozens of antelopes most common is the handsome Chestnut-coated Impala, Diminutive Oribi, secretive Bushbuck, Ungainly Tsessebe and the world’s largest antelope – the Statuesque Cape Eland.
Other optional activities include Rwanda Hot Air Balloon Safari ride in Akagera National Park at 5:15am (depending on sunrise time), the hot air balloon ride can accommodate 4 to 6 guests, starts from the southern gate entrance in the Park at Kayitaba point.
The balloon can climb as 100m to 1000m above the park’s scenic savanna in search for the big-5 and other wildlife species. This experience ends with a champagne breakfast after receiving a flight certificate signed by the pilot as a memory of an unforgettable day. Proceed on to morning game viewing drive, and another late afternoon game drive returning for dinner.
Meals: breakfast, lunch, dinner. Overnight at Mantis Akagera Game Lodge.
Early breakfast at the hotel before departing for Kigali, with a stop for lunch at Pili Pili Restaurant a 2 hr 30 min drive (101km) before proceeding onto Haute Baso Shop for any last minute shopping before your transfer to the Kigali International Airport a 22 min (9.9km) drive, our partner’s driver will bid you farewell as you check in for your out bound flight.
- Kigali: Kigali Marriott, Four Points by Sheraton Kigali.
- Akagera National Park: Magashi Camp, EPIC Hotel and Suites, Ruzizi Tented Lodge
- To The Genocide Memorial groups larger than 15, please book one week before your visit.
- Swimming Pool
- Guided game drives
- Bird watching
- Tennis court
- Boat trips
- Cultural Tours
- Hot air-balloon ride
Trip Inclusions / Exclusions
- Services of meet and greet by our representative in Kigali from the International Airport, and partner driver guide as per itinerary.
- Transfers on arrival to the hotel, and departure in Kigali as per above itinerary.
- Activities driven in luxurious V8 Land Cruiser or 4 x4 safari vehicle and as per itinerary.
- Excursions entrances, visits, park entrance, hiking permit fees at the National Park as per itinerary.
- 1 night on bed & breakfast and dinner, accommodation at The Retreat, Kigali, Rwanda
- 3 nights on full board basis in Mantis Akagera Game Lodge.
- Departure day: Lunch at Pili Pili Restaurant en-route to Kigali, with a visit to Haute Baso Shop, before transfer to Kigali International Airport.
- Amref Flying Doctors cover whilst on this safari aimed at providing quality and affordable Air and Ground Ambulance evacuation services.
- International flight ticket, Travel documents, Visa
- Comprehensive Travel Insurance from your insurer back at home.
- Specific excursions and services not indicated on the ‘included’ incurs additional charge when booked.
- All personal expenses, telephone calls, alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks not indicated by lodge/camp as included, laundry charge may be extra in some or our partner’s properties.
- Tips and gratuities for staff and driver/guide at our partner properties.
The Retreat has Wi-Fi is available in all areas free of charge
Mantis Akagera National Game lodge has W-Fi.
Here one of the two European standard electrical socket types are used:
The “Type C” Europlug and the “Type E” and “Type F” Schuko.
You will need a travel plug adapter in order to plug in. Electrical sockets (outlets) supply electricity at between 220 and 240 volts AC.