Location: Kampala, Uganda
Area: 113 km² (70 mi²)
Uganda as a nation is 241,038 km², named after the Buganda Kingdom, which encompasses a large portion of the south of the country, including the capital Kampala whose language Luganda is widely spoken throughout the country. This landlocked country in East Africa has a population of around 46 million with 8.5 million living in the capital.
Kampala is the largest city and the national capital of Uganda. The city is located in the Kampala district, north of Lake Victoria. The city is divided into five boroughs, Kampala Central Division, Kawempe, Makindye, Nakawa, and Lubaga Division. In the early days, the city was the capital of the Buganda Kingdom. Uganda became a British ‘Protectorate’ from 1894 until 1962.
In 1893 the Imperial British East Africa Company transferred its administration rights of territory consisting mainly of the Buganda Kingdom to the British Government. Kampala city is home to the East African Development Bank, and the oldest and most prestigious University in the Country, Makerere.
An area of about 8,451 square kilometers, on seven hills, about 3,900Ft above sea level, and became an independent capital in 1962, with an international airport in Entebbe about 35km (21 miles) south of Kampala near Entebbe town on Lake Victoria. Kampala is one of the seven Baha’i houses of worship in the world and is known as the Mother Temple of Africa.
Old Kampala stands out because of the unique colonial and Indian-style architectural buildings and 8% of the world’s mammal species are in Uganda, also home to the famous endangered mountain gorillas with the highest population of these in the world.
The Uniqueness of this Park
- The largest freshwater lake on the continent.
- The source of the longest river, the River Nile with its source in the district of Jinja which is located in Uganda.
- The most powerful waterfall in the world – is Murchison Falls.
- The largest number of primates, and mountain gorillas worldwide.
- Sheraton Kampala Hotel has 218 suites
- Kampala Serena has 152 stylish rooms.
- Mestil Hotel & Residences 98 accommodations with safes and complimentary bottled water.
- Four Points by Sheraton has 236 spacious guest rooms and suites.
Activities at the Destination
Visit Uganda National Cultural Center, Parliament of Uganda, Visit UNESCO-listed Kasubi Tombs, Craft Market, Uganda Museum, Asante Art Gallery, Visit Kampala City, Wandegeya Market, Bulange houses Buganda Kingdom’s administration and parliament.
Guided Walking Safaris