Location: Laikipia Plateau, Laikipia County, Kenya
An oasis with opulence in 50 000 acres of Laikipia’s savannah grasslands, overlooking the snow-capped Mount Kenya, sits luxury at Segera Retreat, home to the second-highest density of wildlife in Kenya. Owned by Jochen Zeitz, with the support of the Zeitz Foundation, Segera Retreat is at the forefront of positive change in Kenya.
Laikipia Plateau has transformed into one of East Africa’s finest and most exclusive wildlife destinations, with this mosaic of several dozen private and community-owned sanctuaries, overseen by the non-profit Laikipia Wildlife Foundation, now operates as Kenya’s second-largest conservancy after Tsavo, comprising 9,500km2 in total.
The Segera Retreat is owned by Jochen Zeitz, and with the support of the Zeitz Foundation, Its mission is to achieve a healthy, holistic balance of the 4Cs (Conservation, Community, Culture, and Commerce). This ethos has made the retreat a tangible example of successful multiple land-use efforts and proof that luxury can be sustainable. These beautifully renovated stables form the core of the main area, while six large luxurious villas rise on wooden platforms above a profusion of botanical life.
The luxurious new Farmhouse Homestead, Segera House, and Garden Villa Segera boast privacy and opulence. The Retreat and gardens are filled with selected paintings and other art from Africa’s most inspiring artists in The Zeitz Collection. This Retreat has a spa and gym, the unique Nay Palad Bird’s Nest sleep-out. The sumptuous cuisine comprises Segera’s own free-range beef and organic vegetables.
Uniqueness of this Camp
- Distinctive camp: design, art, service, 4Cs activities menu,
- A relaxing contrast to the migration experience, with a range of activities
- Conservation corridor between western and eastern Laikipia, enabling free movements by elephant, Grevy’s zebra, and wild dog.
- Sleep out in the Nay Palad Bird Nest
- 4 Garden Villas:6 garden villas with thatched roofs and wooden verandas sit high peering out across the savannah and woodlands. Positioned in landscaped botanical gardens centered around a vast swimming pool and cactus wall. The interiors borrow from the bleached grass palette and earthy tones of the land.
- Features: ensuite bathrooms, large stone showers, extra-large beds, billowing linen, mosquito nets, private decks, outdoor baths, and generous daybeds that can be turned into romantic overnight sleep outs. Each Villa features one en-suite bedroom, a full range of deluxe amenities, an in-room bar, and access to Segera’s undulating salt-water pool.
- 2 Family Garden Villa: (two en-suite bedrooms) with a thatched roof and wooden veranda looking out across Segera’s savannah plains and roaming wildlife. The luxurious interiors are large stone showers, deluxe amenities, an in-room bar, and access to Segera’s undulating saltwater pool.
- Features: include extra-large beds and billowing linen mosquito nets, outdoor baths, generous daybeds that can be turned into romantic overnight sleepouts, two en-suite bedrooms, a full range of deluxe amenities, an in-room bar, and access to Segera’s undulating salt-water pool.
- 2 Segera House: 2 bedroom Villa (Greenhouse): Through the Zanzibar-designed doors into a huge entrance hall linking 3 master suites together, spilling out to a private pool and outdoor dining area, this house has a modern chic that borrows influences from across the continent. Offers large private gardens and sunrise views of Mount Kenya.
- Features: En-suite bedrooms connect through a light-filled conservatory with a kitchenette, and a dining room for family meals served by your personal Villa Attendant. Each bedroom and the conservatory have iconic glass exteriors with large doors opening onto a private veranda. Perfect for a family or two couples traveling together. Each Garden Villa features 1 en-suite bedroom, a full range of deluxe amenities, an in-room bar and access to Segera’s undulating salt-water pool.
- 3 Segera House (3 en-suite master bedrooms,): the double-story house features a Swahili door, an open-plan lounge, ideal for a family or 3 couples travelling together. A gallery links the 2 upstairs rooms with views down into the atrium-style lounge that opens onto a dining area, gorgeous private pool, dining room with a kitchenette offering comfort and space for in-villa meal experiences, curated by the chef and personal Villa Attendant.
- 3 Farmhouse: (3 bedrooms) this original ranch homestead, now transformed into a contemporary family farmhouse with slick black floors and French double doors – open from 3 bedrooms out onto a canopied outdoor lounge and private pool. The extra single bedroom is perfect for a nanny or additional traveller. Features: a farmhouse kitchen, fireside lounge, and dining room. A daily visit from the giraffes beyond the euphorbia-edged garden.
- 2 Villa Segera: (2 en-suite bedrooms on stilts) this villa is perfect for honeymooners or families wanting absolute privacy, connected by suspended walkways hovering above the open-air living and dining space alongside a private pool. The octagonal-shaped rooms give multiple views across Mount Kenya, the Sugeroi River, a waterhole in front of the villa, a private swimming pool and offers a kitchenette, contemporary lounge, and dining room for private culinary experiences during your stay, in addition to Segera’s many dining venues.
Lodge Amenities: 24-hour Security, Activity Desk, Bar, Barbeque Facilities, Battery Charging Facilities, Disability Services, Eco Friendly, Gym, Internet Access (Complimentary), Laundry Service (Complimentary), Library, Malaria Free, Mobile Connectivity, Pool, Private Vehicle Available, Restaurant, Spa, Credit Card, Room Service (24 hours).
Gather wild honey with the in-house beekeeper, Go wild walking with our anti-poaching tracker dogs, talk with the inspiring women from the SATUBO beading collective, Meet the new all-female Conservation Ranger Unit, Sleep out in the Nay Palad Bird Nest, Take an Art Tour – and find a window into one of the world’s greatest collections of African Art.
Visit the Segera Wellness for botanical treatments, Visit the award-winning Water bank School, and Shop at the local market. Visit a Samburu manyatta and experience rural life, Gym, Swimming pool, Book and relax as you the wildest film of your life, The Centre for the 4Cs, Sundowners, and Picnics.